The Camí de Cavalls is a path that was used to defend the coast of Menorca. It was established in 1330, during the reign of King James II. This King forced to the settlers of the kingdom, to maintain an armed knight to defend the island through this path.
Centuries later, the path was extended by the French and reused by the British during their domination of the island in the Eighteenth Century. The Camí de Cavalls has been used as right of way to communicate the entire island. Nowadays, after many claims from the local population, and thanks to the recovery work that has been done, the path has become a public road that goes around the entire island. The path has been included in the European Long-Distance Path. The Camí de Cavalls is divided into 20 sections or itineraries.
More information here: